Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Blog 2/24/09

Earlier this week, I had one of those days that I’ve been fearing. I had a good breakfast, mid-morning snack and lunch. Then the wheels fell off….but only for a while. My snack of choice is usually a protein bar. I eat E.A.S. low carb, high protein bars, as well as Greens Plus high protein bars. Yesterday, I had SIX of them. IN A ROW.

I hadn’t binged like that since last April. For whatever reason….I just gave in to my urge and let myself go crazy. The upside to yesterday, though, was this. I took it easy for dinner because I wasn’t really hungry and still ended up below my allowable caloric intake for the day. (I can’t believe I just said that….I didn’t eat because I wasn’t that hungry. Since when has hunger been the only reason to eat?)

I re-grouped after plowing through the protein bars, went to the gym and didn’t eat much after that. Mentally, I ended up disappointed with my binge eating, but by the end of the day, I was in much better mental shape because I was able to stop the bad behavior. In the past, that behavior would linger for months. Honestly. And when I binged, I wouldn’t work out, either.

As an obsessive-compulsive eater, I recognize that sometimes the behavior returns. The one thing I’ve changed is being able to limit the damage by choosing better foods. If I need two or three of something, I’ll make it fruits, nuts or protein bars. That’s been a much better choice than peanut butter cups, oreo cookie ice cream or two steak and cheese subs.

Anyway, just thought I’d let you know how I’ve been coping with those tough days that used to derail me, but now allow me to gain strength by working through them.

Bring on the spring, baby.

Best,Hank

No comments: