Monday, July 7, 2008

Are you emotionally ready?

Nine weeks. It's been nine weeks since I had my last ice cream. It was May 1st, right after I'd gotten together with Mike Boyle and his wife Cyndy at a concert. A week later I began working out with Mike at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning in Winchester, www.bodybyboyle.com. I've eaten better than I have in 20 years and I've lost over 40 pounds.

Now, you don't have to deny yourself ice cream or anything else. It's just that I've decided to stick to my high protein, low carb, "Lean and Green" eating program. It's all common sense eating and increased exercise. Lean chicken, turkey and pork....some occasional red meat.....lot of fruits and vegetables.....and lots of water. I'm going to MBSC three times a week and on the off days I do some walking and stretching.

Weight loss is 99 percent mental and it took me a long time to get into the right mental frame of mind to do it. You have to be emotionally ready to attack the weight loss and I was finally able to start. Mike has helped me get back on track and I couldn't be more grateful. The support he and his staff have given me have enabled me to get over any humps or weaknesses. To be put back on the path to better health has been an enormous boost, mentally and physically. The power of being around positive people in the health business is something I'd never really thought about. I can't believe what a difference it makes. Don't ask me why I'd never thought about it before. The positive feelings are contagious. To have a healthy living advocate is something you can't put a price on and something I don't take for granted.

I am an obsessive compulsive eater. When I started on my program I decided that I'd be obsessive compulsive about healthy eating and exercise. I've read a lot, watched a lot of videos and researched any questions I've had. It has given me something to do besides eat and after two months I've gotten to the point where it's becoming a common habit. Eating properly, exercising and trying to improve my health has replaced my obsessions and compulsions involving food. I still battle with it on a regular basis, but the further away from those behaviors, the less I'm inclined to fall back into their unhealthy patterns. There will always be weak moments, but I am able to lean back on how good I feel when I do the right things. That helps me get through any struggles.

You can do it. I have 130 pounds to lose, but the first 40 plus is gone. I've got to run. I've got a workout to do. I'm enjoying the ride. Please join me and enjoy it, too.

Email me with any questions at hmorse@wror.com

No comments: