Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year! & Back to the Basics!

Here we are in the new year, 2009, and I’m into my ninth month of my “Big Adventure”.
I’ve been trying to get myself back into shape since last May, when I started working out with Mike Boyle at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning in Winchester, www.bodybyboyle.com.

I’ve lost 103 pounds. I’m down from 375 to 272 and I feel a million times better. Maybe more than a million times. But…I’m still 272 and need to lose 50-75 pounds more. I’ve been approximately the same weight since Thanksgiving. Why? Well, I’m still eating well, but haven’t been as strict as I had been when I first began losing weight. I haven’t been quite as diligent about my exercise, although I’m still exercising going to Boyle’s on a regular basis.

So, looking forward to the next phase of improving my health, I decided to look back. I went back to my first blog on May 22, 2008 and read it over. Back to basics is always the way to go when you struggle with anything.

So, for the New Year, here are my suggestions, mostly culled from discussions with the great Mike Boyle.

Drink lots of water, eat lean protein at every meal and absolutely get enough sleep. Sleep is HUGE in the weight loss battle. Also, cut down on refined flour and sugar products. You’d be amazed at what eliminating pasta and bread will do for your weight loss. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Make sure you exercise at least three or four times a week. It revs up your metabolism, oxygenates your blood and can even fight depression.

Of course, check with your doctor before you do anything. Even at 375 pounds, I made sure to go to the doctor on a regular basis. I knew he’d tell me I was fat, but I wanted to know if anything way wrong.

Mike said something to me when I began working out with him. If your parents gave you a new car when you were 16 and told you it was the only car you would ever have……..then you’d probably take good care of it.

Happy New Year. If you ever have any questions, you can always email me at hmorse@wror.com.

Best,
Hank

No comments: