Monday, August 25, 2008

Something to focus on…

Don’t ask me why this never donned on me before, but two things that have been key to helping me lose weight have been my “Self Discipline” wrist band and positive imagery.

First the wrist band. When I started working out at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning in Winchester (www.bodybyboyle.com, www.strengthcoach.com) in May, Mike gave me a black wrist band that said “self discipline” on it. You put it on your dominant hand to remind you about your goals. For instance, I am trying to lose weight and eat most food with my right hand. It’s a simple, symbolic reminder of what you’re trying to accomplish. The website, www.selfdiscipline.com offers a lot of thoughtful insight into various physical fitness challenges. When I notice the wrist band throughout the day, it’s a reminder to focus on my goals.

Positive imagery…….One of my goals is to ski with my daughters Abbey and Charlotte this winter. Last year they skied about 10 times and I was so frustrated watching, knowing I was too fat to join them on the slopes. Last week, during a particularly tough workout, I got through it by focusing on being able to ski. While I pedaled away on the bike and tried to keep going, I closed my eyes and imagined myself on the mountain with Abbey and Charlotte. Needless to say, that 10 seconds with my eyes closed got me through the workout with renewed energy.

The scale says I’m down from 375 to 303 pounds and I can’t wait to get into the 200s. It’s been a long time in the 300s.

Email me anytime at hmorse@wror.com.

Sweat on!!!!

Hank

No comments: